Thursday, January 16, 2014

Buttons That Sting (and a cute note)

My latest teaching-struggle is taking things personally. You think I don't already know not to take things personally? People say "you can't take things personally" to me like I don't already know this. Bottom line, only I have been in my shoes so the rest of y'all can just put down your gabbles and take the plank out of your eye because you're adding to the problem. It's tiring being ridiculed by ungrateful adolescents after I've stayed up all night searching for youtube videos about fraction models because a kid (who never does the homework) still doesn't get that 1/4 is less than a half!!! And all the while I'm expected to be "fun" because I set the bar too high in the beginning of the year (rookie mistake). If I don't wear a wig and tap dance whilst teaching inequalities then I'm not fun.*

As much as I'd like to be an unwavering, revered, and mysterious teacher, I'm certainly not. Mysterious is probably the last thing that I am. I'm extremely feelingful and this is obvious to the children. I strive to let those feelings be the force that drives me to be a better teacher, and not a weaker one. However, my students can sense when I am losing momentum and that's when they start pushing buttons... and I take things personally. By now they've pushed all the buttons and so they know the ones that don't work and the ones that really really really work.

Buttons that didn't work:
"Your acne looks like chicken pocks"
"Your eyebrows need work"
"Your outfit was better yesterday"
"You look like a pilgrim"
"You were prettier in the beginning of the year"
"I hope you get some sleep this weekend so you can be pretty again"

Buttons that worked / still work:
While taking a quiz "You didn't really teach this" (when I really tried to teach whatever it was)
"You don't know what you're talking about" (when I know they're right)
"You're not being fun" (this is just annoying to hear because I am so. damn. fun.)
"You care more about ______ than me" (that one is NEVER true but I feel bad if they think that)
Bell rings "Ugh, finally!" (so sad)
The worst is when they say nothing and completely ignore me (That one STINGS!!!)


But then I get notes like this...


"I am so glad you are my teacher because you make me feel safe and you show that you care about me. That's mainly what I am focused on about teachers. If they show that they really care about me and I really thank you for that."



*I really do wear wigs and tap dance for my students

No comments:

Post a Comment