Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Fashion Tips From Ghetto Tweens + Marc Jacobs

Oops! Sorry, I can't say "ghetto" anymore? Also, "pissed" is a bad word too, apparently. But you get the point. They live in the ghetto and these are their comments on my fashion...

"[You need] more gold, more sculls... more goin' on in general."
"We need to get you into the swaaag gaaame."
"Those are some fancy pajamas you got on."
"Another nightgown?"
"Yo, where's your broom stick?"
"You took casual Friday too far."
"Rough night?"
"You know... with a few more accessories, you look like you could be teachin' at Hogwarts."

(I took that last one as a compliment, for sure!!!)

Interesting thing happened... My boyfriend got me a really nice Marc Jacobs watch and I was hesitant to wear it to work, because I guess I felt like it was possibly too flashy and 90-something percent of my students live below the poverty line. The school uniforms are government provided and even on "free dress" days some students still wear the uniform. And I really hope it's because they just don't care and not because they don't have other clothes. Whelp, I'm gonna start crying let's get back to the point of the story.

So I wore the watch to work and they NOTICED and boy did they COMMENT.

"DAAANG!!!"
"Mmmm that's niiice!!"
"I'm glad he finally buyin' you stuff."
"WOOOOOO!!!!"

Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

The point is, they were happy for me! It's like they were offended before... that since I have money, why wouldn't I dress like it? It reminded me of a conversation I had in college with one of my friends who is gay. I said to him, "I'm not getting married until it's legal for gay people too." My friend was offended by this. He pointed out that as a "straight person" it is wrong for me to not take advantage of a right that I am fortunate to have.

Okay, maybe that was a weird connection. Please don't misinterpret. Believe me, I have bought kids' shoes, paid their heat, and I budget for pencils since Lord knows they NEVER have a pencil and claim "but I just had it!" every damn day.

On the flip side, there's something to be said for self-preservation. For me, that means a gym membership, vodka tonics, and hitting up the occasional sale at J. Crew (teachers get 20% off! Even sale items!) And I always know what time it is and I always look at least a little pretty because of my Marc Jacobs watch!!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment